Sunday, October 10, 2010

Scales and Tails!

One of the fun activities we did for Jake's birthday was a night out on the town with Dan and I. Derek got to hang out with Grandma, Grandpa and Heather. We took him out to eat and then to a show by Scales and Tails. It is a traveling show based out of Salt Lake that does educational hands-on shows about reptiles. They where up in Utah County this week doing a show on pythons. Jacob loved it! He takes after me when it comes to his admiration for snakes. I couldn't get him to look at me long enough to get a good picture. He was too busy playing and petting the snakes. Dan even got into the spirit! When the instructor asked for some parent volunteers, Dan helped carry out a 16 foot python! Sadly I didn't get a picture of this monumental moment (bad angle) but that just means we will have to go again. Instead of trying to help hold up the snake, Jacob opted to just pet the snake.
They had many variates of pythons, from the standard looking Ball Pythons to the Blood Pythons. They also had a Reticulated Python, which was my favorite. Jacob loved holding the small Ball Pythons. It made me miss Squeezer, which made me think about Snakey and all our other snake pets! Even though he was one of the youngest ones there, he was so intrigued and just soaked up everything the snake tamer said. Two thumbs up for Scales and Tails! Thank you Mom and Dad for helping us with Derek so we could go do this with Jake!

6 comments:

  1. Jacob looked like he was in his element. Jessica you were so proud to have snakey. I think you might have been a little disturbed when we feed him goldfish. I think Squeezer lived for about 12 years. Sadly he died last fall. Three cheers for Squeezer the ball python!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ... WHAT?!?!!!?!?!! MY SNAKE DIED AND NO ONE TOLD ME?!?!!! ... not cool everyone. Not cool.

    Now that that is out of the way... That is probably the coolest birthday you could have given that boy :) Haha, I love how in both of the pictures when the children are holding up the larger snake Jacob looks like he's just trying to hug or gently pet it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. He had passed away before your last visit. Did you not notice him missing?
    Remember when I fell asleep while holding squeezer and he got stuck in the reclining chair? oh the memories!

    ReplyDelete
  4. THAT IS SO DANGEROUS!! WHY WOULD YOU TAKE HIM TO HOLD SOMETHING THAT COULD EAT HIM!!!

    Now that that is out of the way... :) Angie Squeezer died a peaceful death, nothing to be sad about, he lived long enough already :)

    Also, I think Jacob's Birthday week idea was basically awesome (even if one of the activities was dangerous) :) I must say that you are pretty amazing with Birthday stuff Jess!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I put the picture of Jacob and the big yellow snake on my computer for the background, so every morning when I come to work, I get to smile as I look at him with this huge snake. I had the image of Derek in the bucket for a while (that picture is awesome!), but I wanted to get one with Jacob too. Thanks for making my days a little brighter guys.
    Love Grandma G

    ReplyDelete