Thursday, August 25, 2011

What we did this week...


As many know, this summer has been super hot! So we have had fun with our little sprinkler head. We had an impromptu water play time. I didn't even bother putting on swim trunks. Mostly because they had gotten themselves wet even before I turned it on and I was lazy.
I don't get the fun of getting so close to the sprinkler head. Jake seems to think that is the best part. They would take turns ( dog included) in getting super close, putting their hands/paws over the sprinkler head. It is as if they are proving their awesomeness. Look, I can stop the full force of water pressure with the palm of my hand! We also went to the Pig Party this week! Oh that is right, Lehi is awesome. We have parties that revolve around farm animals!
I have decided that I want a pet pig. I am willing to give up the hope to get a pet snake for a pig. When I told Dan he said we can't get a pig because it would beat up the dog. I think he might have a point. Kate isn't exactly a vicious beast!
They had lots of activities for the kids. One was " Eat Like a Pig" the idea is that you eat the whip cream trying to find the treat underneath. . . without using your hands. Fun idea unless you are Jake and don't want to get your face dirty. There where three other people doing it at the same time and they just went right in, determined to be the first one to eat the starburst. Jake had to lick the whip cream slowly, not to make a mess. I don't know why it made me so proud and sad at the same time.
Jake Decided he was Super Pig. This is him showing off his piggy muscles. I don't know why I find it so funny.
Derek loves the cows. He will sit and pet them and feed them. He wanted nothing to do with the pigs and he didn't want to pet the bunny. For some odd reason Derek feel more comfortable petting and playing with an animal that is overwhelmingly bigger than him. Besides, maybe he likes them because they taste pretty good!
Then we made piggy cookies. Nothing like a well balanced Lunch! Jake had fun making the cookie look like a pig, Derek didn't care... until they started to eat their cookies. Derek started to notice Jake's cookie was pink, and looked so much more tasty than his plain sugar cookie. After Derek tried to swipe Jake's cookie a couple of times I put a bit of icing on his cookie. What fun!

When I was little we had a small kids recipe book JUST FOR KIDS. I thought is was the coolest recipe book ever. It was almost like all the recipes had to be good, because of they where for kids and they where in fun animal shapes! The bread recipe was especially fascinating to me. Oh how I longed to make a bread bear or bread bunny. I decided that it would be fun to do with Jake. I let him measure everything out. He even helped me knead it, which mostly meant him punching the tar out of the poor bread dough. We then shaped it into an Alligator. We where having a day celebrating the letter "A" so it seemed fitting. Plus it seemed easier than making an Ant Eater. That was his first choice... thanks to Diego.He made the head, then rolled out the tail. Oh it started to take shape and I think we both started to have hope in our little project! I then gave him scissors to cut scales and teeth with.
We popped it in the oven and waited for the beeper.
When it came out I was so excited, I didn't think it looked half bad. Jake looked at it funny and said it didn't look like an alligator. I will admit I became a bit disheartened. He then says it looks like an Ankylosaurus. We then decided our oven was magic. It turned our dough alligator into a bread Ankylosaurus! He then proceeded to rip the tail off and started to eat. He had fun, and Ankylosaurus does start with the letter A.... just saying :)

5 comments:

  1. Looks like you guys had so much fun this last week! We miss you guys! Also, Jess, I know it is only August (almost September), but I would love to start looking for cool X-mas presents for whatever family we are to have. When were you planning on picking names for the exchange?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your children have such a creative mother!!! I love all the ideas you come up with Jessica!! LOVE LOVE LOVE. I want to make a lady bug out of bread dough because of you now :) So much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jen - I will do the draw this weekend with my Mom. Just so you know we are doing it different this year. We are exchanging gifts for family units.
    Example : You and Chris are a unit; My parents, Heather and Richie are a unit. Less stress and confusion. Gift ideas are movie and board games, gifts card for dinner and movie, xbox game. Just something the family can do together. If you have any questions give me a call. We have to figure out the price limit though.. I haven't figured that part out.

    Heather - When you have a baby I will have to send you all web sights and blogs I steal my ideas off of. Love ya tons Sis!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are one creative and awesome mom!-- Of course we did have one amazing woman to learn from.

    I remember running through the sprinklers and doing the same thing! We would always go straight to the sprinkler head, get really close, jump over the sprinkler head, drink the gross water... that is, until dad lectured us :) I think we actually broke some of the sprinkler heads with our shenanigans.

    ReplyDelete
  5. P.S. oooooooooo!! Pick me! I have a baby! Send me your blogs :) Or is that privilege reserved only for Heather?

    ReplyDelete